Chief Operating Officer - Hedge Fund
Permanent | Negotiable | London | | Posted by Dominic Regan | 08.07.16
The Hedge Fund team is currently recruiting exclusively for a COO at a high performing $12bn AUM hedge fund.
The role of the COO will be to manage all business aspects of the firm and all duties non-investment/trading. This will include but not limited to operations, compliance, finance, IT, human resources, investor relations and facilities management.
The incumbent will also take a strategic view ensuring that all infrastructures are aligned to the direction of the fund and its strategy. From this standpoint, the overall duties of the COO will therefore allow the investment team to focus on the efficient management and investment of client money, supported by seamless infrastructure and frameworks to ensure zero impact on P&L post execution.
The COO will also directly engage with new and existing investors as the first port of call for all investor due diligence queries outside performance.
- CEO/Board of Directors
Support to Investments business
- Whilst the COO is not a revenue generating position nor a position directly related to the management of money, a solid understanding of hedge fund strategies and asset classes is a prerequisite
- The importance of the above is based on the extensive internal and external engagement with PM’s, Traders as well as investors
- Clear understanding of investment business is required in order to ensure the best planning and execution of such plans aligned to investment strategy
- Draft roadmap for future growth and how infrastructure frameworks can support such growth
- Producing goal plans and cost/benefit analysis for infrastructure vs investment strategy
- Manage all front to back trade flow
- Oversee all fund accounting and NAV sign off with administrator
- Maintain best execution for the PM/traders, cash/margin & collateral
- Constantly reviewing operational frameworks endeavouring to challenge the status quo and improve processes to increase operational efficiency and mitigate risk
- Taking responsibility for control functions and ensuring all requirements are met with the regulator
- Ensuring PM’s investment decisions are in line with regulator requirements
- AML checking and investigating all investor onboarding
- Surveillance of communications and investment practices
- Creation of compliance manual and building a framework for all internal compliance protocols
- Implementing correct policies regarding gift and entertainment
- Implementing policies and practices that respect fiduciary duties to investors
- Building nimble compliance frameworks that can adapt to frequent changes made from regulators
- Overseeing of all IT infrastructure and taking responsibility to align technology vision with the fund strategy integrating fund processes with the appropriate technologies
- Overall management, governance and oversight of the fund IT platform to include data security, production stability, resiliency, capacity management, external vendor management and business continuity.
- Oversee and sign off of financial statements, forecasting and budgeting
- Responsible for Investor due diligence and RFP’s, working with PM’s to entice new investment based on solid and risk adverse infrastructure as well as performance
- Ensure adequate support for sales team and PM’s on all investment and marketing collateral
- Smooth running of RFP’s, DDQ’s, presentations and bespoke client reports
- CRM management and effective analysis of existing and new investors
- Managing all external relationships across infrastructure
- Review and analyse all contractual obligations and SLA’s
- Identification, assessment and appraisal of all new vendor/supplier relationships
- Strong presence in overall talent management across the fund
- Negotiate employee contracts and salaries and maintain benefits program
- Negotiate contracts with recruitment agencies/search firms
- Overseeing retention planning and training
- Key influence on fund culture and engagement
- Managing building/lease contracts and negotiation
- Identify future space and facilitating office move
The right candidate will have an extensive background within the hedge fund or investment banking industry with subject matter expertise across infrastructure, both in terms of infrastructure build out and maintenance. Diverse asset class knowledge and hedge fund strategy understanding essential. CF10/11 is also preferred in order to manage the compliance piece efficiently but not essential. Experience in building, testing and reviewing operational and infrastructure frameworks to increase efficiency and mitigate risk is also required twinned with full understanding of investment cycle from execution through to settlement. Extensive vendor management and relationship skills along with director investor experience is essential. The right candidate will also be a strategic thinker and leader, with a history of integrity, ethics and sound moral compass. High level of curiosity on all business-related matters to root out any unethical or unprofessional level of behaviour along with a solid appreciation of good governance.